Kids Nose Bleeds: Pediatric Epistaxis
Why Does it Happen?
- Trauma (fall, nose picking, fights, or accident.)
- Drying of mucosa.
- Associated inflammatory diseases.
- Have the child use normal saline nose spray four to five times a day.
- Use a cool mist humidifier during the night.
- At bedtime, place a thin coating of Vaseline, polysporin, or bacitracin inside of the nose on each side of the septum. (Middle divider).
When a nose bleed occurs:
- Spray Afrin (2 squirts) into each side of the nose.
- Hold firm pressure over the lower soft part of the nose for five minutes (by the clock
When to call our office:
If nosebleeds continue despite the treatments.
The formula for Homemade Saline Nasal Spray:
1 tsp. Table salt
1 tsp. Baking soda
1-pint warm tap water